Today I’ll teaching you a delicious bagel recipe. Bagels are the little round buns with a hole in the middle. At the end of the 19th century, they were introduced to the USA and Canada by Eastern European Jewish immigrants.
As time passes on, different flavors have developed. The best known are the two variants “New York Bagel” and “Montreal Bagel”. The latter are slightly smaller and sweeter. So I would rather call my bagel recipe New York Bagel.
Compared to normal Bread Bun Recipes, bagel recipes have a special feature: before baking, the dough pieces are briefly dipped in boiling water. This makes the skin sticky and gives the crust its typical tough and leathery consistency after baking.
The typical bagel is usually quite inconspicuous in terms of taste. But with the right topping it tastes super good.
That’s enough talk. Here’s my bagel recipe:Print
Bagel recipe – make your own delicious bagels.
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 bagels 1x
You can make 6 delicious bagels with this recipe
- 50g All Purpose Flour
- 80g water
- 0,7g fresh yeast
- 250g All Purpose Flour
- 80g water
- 5g fresh yeast
- 10g honey
- 6g salt
- 10g butter
- Any seeds of your choice (e.g. black or white sesame with poppy)
- First prepare the pre-dough for the bagel recipe. Then simply mix all ingredients and let them mature for 8 to 12 hours at room temperature.
- The next step is to set the main dough to rise. To do this, dissolve the yeast in about 20g water and knead all remaining ingredients together to a smooth dough. First about one minute on the lowest step and 10 – 15 minutes on the second step.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Round each dough piece on the lightly floured worktop like a classic bun.
- Press a hole in the dough piece with your finger. Turn the dough piece with your finger on the worktop until you have a ring about 9cm wide.
- Cover the bagels and let them rest at room temperature for 0.5 – 1.5 hours.
- Boil the water in a pot and leave the dough pieces to stand for one minute on each side.
- Drain the bagels well and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake the bagels at 210°C top/bottom heat for about 25 minutes until light brown.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
As you can see, you don’t need any special tools for baking bagels. But if you make bagels more often, such a bagel form is worthwhile. Not only does this make the bagel perfectly round, but you can also simply put it into the boiling water.
I prefer to use classic black and white sesame and poppy seeds for my bagel recipe. Theoretically, however, you can also use them as leach or completely different seeds and grains.
Bagel alone is all well and good, but only with the right topping does a bagel recipe become a real taste experience. For example, I love eating them with graved salmon and avocado.
Salmon – Avocado – Bagel Recipe
- 190g cream cheese
- 1 squirt of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Avocado
- 12 slices of graved salmon
- Sprinkle the cream cheese with a squirt of lemon and a little salt and pepper.
- Cut the bagels horizontally and spread the cream cheese on both halves.
- Slice the avocado.
- Cover the bagel with salmon and avocado and enjoy.
How do you like your bagel best? Write me your favorite toppings in the comments.